What is ear wax?
Ear wax is an oily material that is produced by glands within the ear canal. As one of the body's many naturally occurring protective substances, ear wax is incredibly useful to our health and wellbeing.
Maintaining a healthy level of ear wax is key - too little and you might succumb to bacterial infections, too much and it can block the ear canal causing temporary hearing loss.
How can we help?
How do I know if I need ear wax removal?
Ear wax is usually harmless, but if you have particularly hard wax or too much compacted in your ear, it can cause some pain and discomfort. You can visit your local Bay Audiology clinic and we can look into your ear and tell you if you if you have wax that needs removing.
You may need micro-suction if:
- Your ears feel blocked.
- Your hearing is reduced.
- There is discharge from your ear.
- You experience ringing in your ears (tinnitus).
- You have a history of ear wax build-up.
What should I expect during an ear wax removal appointment?
Your appointment will include both an ear wax removal and a free hearing check. Having both included in one appointment allows us to remove any build up of ear wax and check your hearing to ensure everything is normal. If the results suggest a hearing loss, a full diagnostic hearing test is recommended to get a full picture of the extent of your hearing loss.
Here is what to expect during an ear wax removal appointment:
- You will be seen by a registered nurse or clinician qualified in the micro-suction technique of ear wax removal.
- We allow 45 minutes for your first appointment with us.
- We will demonstrate how the equipment will work and explain what you are going to experience.
- It may be noisy, or sound like a wind tunnel with some squeaky sounds, but this will only be a short period of time.
- After your wax is removed, we will check your hearing to ensure everything is normal. If the results suggest a hearing loss, we will recommend a full diagnostic hearing test.
Which Bay Audiology clinics offer ear wax removal?
Selected Bay Audiology clinics offer ear wax removal. Find out which clinics offer this service here. If your local clinic does not offer ear wax removal, our team can recommend where to get these services.