If you regularly maintain and clean your hearing aids, they will improve your hearing for longer. Proper care will help minimise problems with your hearing, and increase wearing comfort.
Tips for caring for all hearing aids
- Make sure you always have clean, dry hands before handling your hearing aids, as their microphones are very small and can easily become blocked.
- Always ensure your hearing aids are clean and free of ear wax.
- Take out your hearing aids before bathing, showering or swimming.
- Do not leave your hearing aids in damp or humid places like the bathroom, as moisture can damage the components.
- Do not leave your hearing aids near a heat source such as a radiator or a hair dryer, and do not place them where they will be exposed to direct sunlight.
- At night, remove the battery and leave the battery compartment open. Store your hearing aids in the same cool, dry place every night, away from pets and children. If you can, it is worth investing in a hearing aid dehumidifier or drying container. Your local Bay Audiology clinic can help you purchase these.
- If you have rechargeable hearing aids, please leave the hearing aid in the charging dock overnight.
- Remove your hearing aids before you use a spray-on deodorant, hairspray, perfume or make-up, as fine particles from these products can block the microphones and controls.
- If your hearing aids are not working properly, do not try and repair them yourself as their components are very fragile. Contact your local Bay Audiology clinic and they will support with the repair of your hearing aids.